Re: [Harp-L] SElF-TAUGHT?

To be self taught is not a big deal today given all the resources on the Internet and other ressources such as the MasterClass books etc. Actually you can't call it self taught anymore.

Harmonica is hard to teach, the teacher cannot show you how he shapes his throat to get a sound. Compare that with a piano, this finger here, this finger there,...

Harmonica teaching is also difficult as it can take months (years) to learn certain techniques properly like bending and vibrato, so what does the teacher do if you can't bend?

To me, a harmonica teacher is more like a guide, he or she can suggest exercises, can teach you some theory or tricks so you develop. I have a teacher that I see sporadically, as time passes, I write down questions I have and when I have enough of them I book an hour to get answers. My teacher is excellent, so its an inspiration just to sit beside him and listen to him play.

But you really don't need a teacher.

Pierre.