Re: [Harp-L] Blowing out a harp (was Sound of Hohner)

On Mar 4, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Steve Shaw wrote:

How long does the average harp last some of you guys?
I've read that the longevity of harps is a concern a
lot of players take into consideration when purchasing
a harp.

I actually have stayed away from buying a lot of
Special 20s because of others' remarks on how long
they last even though I find them very easy to play.

I played from mid 54 till 58 but only chromatics. Started on diatonics in 83. I JUST tossed 5 or 6 of them. (That's 21 yrs)
I don't kill harps. My playing is in the "intensity range of Charlie McCoy or Don Les". Of course, I'm NOT comparing my ability with theirs (well, maybe McCoy). I never blast that strongly and (frankly) don't understand how (maybe a better word is WHY) guys blow out harps. If you're blowing THAT hard, the rest of the band is too loud. Not slandering anyone here, especially those who DO blow out harps, just seems like electricity is handy...why not use it.
the ghost of Smokey Joe