[Harp-L] Gig List delays

If anyone is wondering the somewhat erratic appearance of Danny's gig list
is not his fault.  Harp-l has a post limit of 29k which prevents members
from inadvertently posting an entire digest back to the list.  The gig
list is oftentimes right at this limit and gets held for approval.  Most
of the time I see it right away and forward it to the list but sometimes
it will come through after I've checked the approval queue and it won't
get released until the following day.  I could add Bassharp to an approved
filter but we'd get spammed if I did.  It's the 2nd most spoofed address
on the list.  Mine's worse.  I don't even allow direct posting from the
listowner address.  Anything I send gets held for approval.  I've also
considered bumping the digest size up just a couple of K which would allow
me to increase the posting limit.  I might well do that but other than the
gig list problem the current limit has worked well.

Recently we've had a new posting problem show up.  People would post and
nothing would appear on the list.  It always turns out to be the same
thing, formatting set to a mime type that's not multipart so there is no
plain text component. The first time it happened I was baffled, Ben
noticed the lack of a plain text component and we got it straightened out
with the user.  I've since then reconfigured the content filter of the
list to forward the rejected posts to the owner's box meaning I'll see the
problem right away and it won't be a mystery.  The reason we do all of
this configuration is to prevent viruses and worms from ever making it to
the list.  The same is true for the post size limit, it's below the size
of an attached virus.  Not that the attachemnt would survive the filtering
process.

Spam, notice we don't have any spam?  But wait there's more.  Subscribing
to this list will not generate any spam traffic in your inbox.  Why? We
conceal our subscriber's addresses.  Not only is the subscriber list off
limits the digest will not include complete addresses.  It's actually not
true that you don't get any spam from the list.  You get harmonica related
spam which reminds me to remind you to please read the harp-l policies
regularly and understand that our rule regarding commercial announcements
permits a once a month blatant advertisement of your harmonica related
product.  We of course bend this rule a bunch and I've had zero complaints
in this area.

fjm harp-l-listowner