[Harp-L] Re: Hering Harps Comments

Ron,

I moved to Brazil almost 5 years ago and was always playing Hohner
harps, Special 20s, Blues (whatever it is called), Pro Harps, etc.
Once they started to go I had to find a cheaper alternative, as there
is a 86% importation tax on any product here in Brazil, so German
harps were just too expensive.  So I switched to Hering harps.  I was
not really impressed as they were leaky, but since they were of
quality material this was easily fixed with some adjustments.

One day I was buying a replacement harp at the biggest music story in
São Paulo, at least in respect to harmonica stock, and I ran into the
sales rep for Hering showing off the first maintenance kits.  We
chewed the fat for a while and I told him I wanted one of the
maintenance kits.  As soon as the first ones came out I had one in my
hands.  I called Hering and ordered 30 reeds for the ones that tend to
break.  After this I have been replacing my own reeds, like I did
years ago with the Hohners and I am super happy with them.  At 10
cents a reed, how can you complain.

Now I only play Herings.  They also have a strange chromatic/richter
mix that I have never seen else where.  I played one and it made my
head spin.