RE: [Harp-L] re: not liking Blues in General

-----Original Message-----
From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Jonathan Metts
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 3:29 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] re: evolving harmonica.

"Evolving harmonica, since this is harp-l not blues-l."

That's an interesting point.  As much as I listen to the blues and go to
blues concerts, I don't even really like the blues in general.  I like
harmonica, a LOT, and it seems like I have to listen to the blues to get my
harmonica fix.  I even play the blues quite often, not because I
particularly like playing them, but because it's the easiest and most
natural form of music for me to play on harp (hopefully that will change in
time as I improve on the instrument).  Lately I've found that I really enjoy
some of the blues fusion styles, like funky blues or jazzy blues, and
instrumental blues is good too, but the old Robert Johnson/Muddy
Waters/whatever straight up blues, I could do without.

The source of this introspection is when I got Little Walter's "His Best" CD
and, although his playing is very impressive on many tracks, I find that
there are only one or two songs on the disc that I really enjoy and could
listen to over and over.  "Roller Coaster" is one of them, I think because
it doesn't sound bluesy to me at all.

Jonathan Metts
_

I have to second that feeling, about not particular liking Blues, except I
would add that I do enjoy the Piedmont Blues that Cephas and Wiggens play.

Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx