Re: [Harp-L] fiddle harp help... please

 *"I listened to "Old Joe Clark" and have a couple of questions. When I
grabbed my D harp to play it (Mixolydian A) to play along I think that I
discovered that you must have been using a C harp since it seemed like you
played in G.
Am I hearing/not hearing things right?**"*
**
Sorry, Dave. I should have remembered to mention that I did all of the cheap
home recording clips on a C harmonica -- for the beginner who usually starts
playing on a C harmonica. You weren't wrong.
 *"I usually play it down low on the harp, you played it way up at the top.
Does that help you get heard, playing
in that octave?"*
 I have always found that the upper octaves fit my needs more -- less
bending necessary and generally more responsive at faster speeds. However, I
do play lower on the instrument if it suits my needs. Generally, you could
say that the upper octave does set you out a little more in a jam/band
situation since you are playing above the voices of the other instruments,
which is very suitable when it is time for your break, but it does not
automatically solve your volume problem (being heard). However, it takes
work to control the higher instruments in the upper octaves and to also be
able to play them in the upper octaves so that they blend with the other
instruments when you are not taking a break.
 *"I guess that that would be a good way for me to make friends with that
end of the harp."*
**
Sounds good to me. I am trying to make friends with the lower end of the
harp in a similar fashion. Holes 1 and 2 hardly get much of a workout unless
I am teaching a class or workshop. However, when it comes to presenting the
harmonica in its best light with the bluegrassers, I will always try to keep
my playing where I am most comfortable -- especially on fast tunes. It never
hurts to know more about what you are doing, but there is no need to force
the others to suffer the learning process unnecessarily.
 *"...and the music in music notation, which I don't read."*
**
Here is an idea for you with regards to working with notation. Knowing how
to read music notation is a valuable skill. I highly recommend acquiring at
least a rudimentary knowledge of it -- with a focus on key/time signature,
notes, and timing. Some of the intro books will help you in that regard to
build that skill. However, to help with transposing some of those fiddle
tunes in notation to a workable harmonica tab, take a note from the notebook
of a West Texas harmonica player with whom I have been working who is
suffering through the same problems: collect the harmonica tab rulers at
http://www.harmonicacountry.com/tabrulers/instructions.html. (The tab rulers
are linked on the instruction page.) These rulers show the relationship
between the notes on the staff and the hole on the harmonica with the
correct key signature. There is more to learn, of course, but it is a start.

 Cara