Re: [Harp-L] First Generation Vs. the current one

From: MundHarp@xxxxxxx
However, I don't think that most 21st century chromatic players are as good
as those from the 1950's....Larry Adler, Tommy Reilley and Max Goldray were
AMAZING...
generalizations are dangerous. Technically and musically the old school guys were amazing.

OK Douglas Tate and Blackie Shatner are great too, and there are plenty of
others, but chromatic harmonica playing does not seem to have progressed in the
same way as diatonic harp playing.

The areas where I think that the new generation of JAZZ chromatic players have evolved and excelled has been greater harmonic knowledge in improv and they swing harder. (kind of like the Basie band vs. the Dorseys)

These days, some "short harp" players are doing things that no one believed
possible 50 years ago!
True--let's keep it up!

Michael Peloquin come to Jam Camp in San Diego, Oct 14-16, 2005 tell them Michael sent you http://www.gindick.com http://www.harpsax.com