Re: [Harp-L] Re : First Generation Vs. the current one

Hurricane sez :
"What about timing , nuance , space in between lightning chops ? "

right on, Hurricane.  That's almost a life lesson... timing is
everything. Bix is another great example you give of great music to get
your head around.  I know you've posted before about stuff that makes
life worth listening to.  I've currently got Sonny Rollins on heavy
rotation.

Jim.

>>> "Hurrican Ramón" <party_man1@xxxxxxxxxx> 06/21/05 22:00 PM >>>

Hurricane sez :

What perplexes me on this issue is that many consider a person who has
fast blistering chops as the better player .

¡ NOT , I repeat Not Not Not Speed only !

What about timing , nuance , space in between lightning chops ?

In nutshell :

Bix Bierderbecke .

If that  name doesn't sound familiar you have missed out on some of the
most fanstastic Blues & Jazz ever played  by anyone on any instrument
bar none !

Louis Armstrong said of Bix this :

Direct quote ,

" All I've ever called the dear boy was Bix ... just the name alone will
make one stand up ---- also their ears . And when he played ---- why ,
the ears did the same thing ..."

>From the Book :

Bix -
Man & Legend

authored by

Richard M. Sudhalter & Philip R. Evans
with Willaim Dean-Myatt

Publisher :

Quartet Books London

In this book many things are mentioned on style , one was a similar
thing about the playerws who were lightning fast and just burning up the
scene with their staccato arppegiated machine gun runs on the horn (
trumpet & cornet as Bix played cornet like Louis Armstrong did at first
before Louis changed to the trumpet later to increase his " loundness
factor level when Bix was at his best ) and or other instruments .

Bottom line :

Read this book if your really into the Blues , it is  the " other side
of the Blues coin " if you get my drift .

As far as  speed being the mitigating factor to decide who's who :

¡ ¡ BALDERDASH ! !

Plain and simply put .

Sincerely :

HR

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx

P.S. :

Stanley Clarke the great and fantastically fast P-bassman has a great
story about Miles Davis . It goes something like this as Miles just
picked up Stanley for a practice session along with anoth member of
Miles band .

Miles had just gotten a Lamborgini and was racing it madly aroundthe
neighborhood in New York City  pulling broadies around every corner and
when he did he said loudly to Stanley " ¡ SPACE ! " and scaring the
daaaaaylights out of Stanley .

At the session once out of Miles sight and earshot Stanley asked the
other musicina who road with them to  the studio . " What the heck did
Miles mean with SPACE ? "

The other seasoned player of the band laughed - - " he means you need to
put some space in between those lghtning fast chops of yours "

So my fellow harpers , when comparing those other younger players ( I
like them a lot too mind you ) consider what I just wrote if your really
serious bout de Blues  .

Dig poeple ? I hope so .

HR