[Harp-L] Re: from jug band to Chicago amplified blues

Joel writes:
I've seen some debates on another list that has some serious blues
scholars as to whether or not BWH recorded with the Memphis Jug Band. He
would have had to be pretty young. <snip>

The first question about Big Walter Horton's acoustic years revolves around these legendary Memphis Jug Band sessions: did he or didn't he? For years it has been rumored that nine-or-ten-year-old Horton made his recording debut with them, and Big Walter always insisted this was true. But then Big Walter was prone to, shall we say, "embellishing" the facts. <g>

At least two books claim that he played on the Jug Band's 1927 recording of "Kansas City Blues," but a look at Godrich and Dixon's 'Blues And Gospel Records 1902-1942' suggests it's two other 1927 songs that may or may not feature him: "Sunshine Blues" and "Sometimes I Think I Love You." Both of these list a harmonica player by the name of "Shakey Walter." Could this be Horton? He did play with them on occasion, but to my ear the harp player on these tracks sounds more like Will Shade. Also the session took place in Chicago, and it seems unlikely that Walter might have traveled all the way there from Memphis to record at the age of nine or ten; but then we'll probably never know for sure.

In any case Big Walter was recording by 1939, on sessions by the mysterious guitar-playing dwarf Little Buddy Doyle for Okeh and Vocalion Records. While early editions of Godrich and Dixon list Hammie Nixon as the harp man on these sessions, Horton was working with Doyle at the time and the newest edition of G & D has been revised to confirm Walter's presence. In a later interview, Horton said they were "just a couple of kids at the time." A listen to these recordings reveals little of the Big Walter to come.... aurally there is little question that it is Horton, but the harp playing on them is very pedestrian. Nearly every song is the same pace, features the same licks and is in the same key (A.)

Twelve years were to transpire before Horton would record again, in 1951 at Sam Phillips' legendary Sun Studios in Memphis. Evidently he'd been playing a lot because by this time his acoustic style was at least as impressive as that of Walter Jacobs, and likewise featured a wide array of techniques; in particular a masterful display of tongue-blocking.

As to how he made the transition -- well, let's just say that Horton was an instinctive player who adapted to his environment. In whatever context he was simply a blues harp genius with bell-like tone.

cheers and hoisting a pint to Big Walter in absentia,

Tom Ball
Santa Babs

.