[Harp-L] Re : I want to play chromatic like Stevie

Excerpt .

Elizabeth sez :

 I so dislike the idea that one is (or has to choose to be) either/or

Hurricane sezes :

Your observation(s) are correct Elizabeth . As you noted both sides seem a tad paranoid as to each one's personal agenda being the only " true one " and or my art is dying .

Balderdash ........

I made this comment/observation in an other " forum " too  mentioning that both sides really neeeeeeed to rethink their positions like you seem to express as well . When I made this post the diatonic community seemed to handle this criticism well while on the other hand chromatically speaking it .....went don't rather hard ..... like when something distasteful  is found floating in the proverbial  " punch bowl "  . The most heated  type of response reflected the attitude of a insecure point of view  with a touch of I am tired of you guys ( meaning the diatonic player in me who also loves the chromatic as much as anyone could possibly do with out looking like a cultist ) making us chromatic players look like were bad , I took this direct hit and responded in kind to the assault put to me for voicing an obvious thing both sides needed to address ( those in denial , you know who you are :) and realize that there should not be an argument over such a trivial thing as whose style
of play and harmonica choice is the better , who should be playing at this harmonic festival or that , ot there are to many of this type of player being shoved  down our throats or there are not enough of this type of player and it went on and on .

Sheeesh can I get a break ! Fellas & Gals :

The straight diatonic dyed in the wool school of Sonny Boy(s) Walters , Butterfields and other assorted gut bucket types and so forth need to understand and expand their musical horizons . Is this a bad thing to ponder and consider  ? - -  I think not but then that's just me the musical maniac that I am .

The rigidly stanched chromatic type classic , jazz , swing and other forms of chromatic schools of harmonica playing need to " loosen up a tad " . It's a good thing , all you have to do is just try  :) and who knows , it just might make you feel good inside too .

As I mentioned and you Elizabeth also see these conflicts are JR. high school attitudes and should note be an issue among mature secure in themselves people . That last comment I made of" loosen up a tad " got the knee jerk response I was trying to make clear should not be an issue but - - ya can't please em all .

Like yourself and others who have played harmonica(s) a long time and loved the difference between them ( Diatonics , Echos , Chord , Bass and Tremolo types ) and wished they could have them all , I rather than take a stand on one over the other being better or limited think they are all marvelous and the only limitations they have one from the other is the talent ( or lack ) of one player to another from each one's particular genre as I hear them played , and so far in my life I have heard them all played beautifully from time to time and from player to player and from style to style .

What ever it is you look for in life you will surely find , so to myself I try to look for as many wonderful good things to find in music whether it's a harmonica or a digeridoo  , a violin or a synthesizer , a kalimba or a full on grand piano being played as long as the song and player send me to musical note nirvana .

If this kind of thinking was prevalent ( IMHO ) then the ranks of any harmonic forum whether as in this case here and other net forums to the others that existed before there was an internet would swell to enormous proportions .

Can't we all just learn to get along :)

Peace lil buddies .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón