RE: [Harp-L] Harp practice

In the 30+ years I've been playing I've taken many, many breaks.  And each
time I've come back to the harp, I've done it with a great sense of renewal
and eagerness to play and play and play.  Taking a break is probably the
best thing one can do to prevent becoming stale.  Hell, I've taken breaks of
up to a year at a time...of course each time I've come back I would lament
why I left it in the first place.

As a matter of fact I just started up playing again after almost a year
break.  I rejoined Harp-L, I'm looking for new gear, people to jam with, and
trying to figure out how I can help get more people interested in the blues
in Marin County, California where I live.  So I'm refreshed and I just
finished watching a documentary on Muddy Waters and was playing along with
Mannish Boy at the end of the doc...and when the music ended I kept playing,
and just came up with a new lick.

So if you're in a rut, take a break and do other stuff. When you come back,
you'll probably play better than ever...and you'll once again realize that
the harp is a fantastic instrument.

Robert Gaustad

PS - so with my many breaks, since I started playing in 1972, I would guess
I've only been playing for about 25 years.