Re: [Harp-L] Harp practice

On Jul 28, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Chris Michalek wrote:

If you want to get out of your rut then stop listening to other harmonica players. If you really want to get out of your rut then stop playing for a few weeks. Practise writing with your opposite hand, learn to cook, learn to play another instrument do something creative that is not playing harmonica.

I guarantee that you will have a fresh set of ears when you return to
the instrument

*It was Chris that made that statement, and I echo it whole heartedly. As an EX multi instrumentalist, I would advise you that listening to harp (and harp ONLY) is not going to get you as far as covering the whole spectrum of instrumenti.

When I was talking to Chris about 6 years ago, he allowed as how HE had hit a rut in the road. I told him it would pass, and we agreed (mutually) that a short respite from harp was the answer. I allowed as how working on something to go along with Zither or Sitar might be beneficial as well as some African or Eastern modes of tone. He, apparently, did take a short break and then came back like gang-busters. And boy did he EVER come back.
smo-joe