[Harp-L] Re : Re: Re: reverb v. delay to samblancato

samblancato Sez :

Excerpt(s)

" What I do is to run it off a variable adapter at 4.5 volts
rather than 9v. It gives me a realy nice little crunch that otherwise wouldn't be there. I discovered this when I was playing once when the battery died on me. "

An den he sez :

" Somebody on this list (I forget who) suggested the variable voltage adapter (I got it at Radio Shack) and I tried it. "

Hurricanes sezes :

Hello Sam :

Go's to show you that there are always more ways than one to skin a cat . That's really cool on the effect(s) you found out of happenstance .

Low tech is something to always consider when you realize that any money saved is money that is to be applied for the next harp replacement purchase :)

After fooling round with a " Variac " in  my Marshall and then a freak situation of a tube getting a tiny hole in it's side , I discover something wild on two separate occasions with two totally different amp set ups that both ended up with similar sounds from a little blown out EL34 tube .

#1 :

I was getting really great crunch at any volume level in any sized room by  dialing in the amout of A.C input with a Variac , saaaweeeeeet ! Amp ran great tubes lasted a long time over all .

A burned out tube one night timed itself to do a cosmic thang sound wise giving me flange & phase shifting sounds added to the warm crunch of my amp's tube sound that at first caught me off guard and then as I saw the crowd react as well as bandmemebers , I knew something super had occurred . The guitarist asked me when the set ended :

" How'd you get that sound tonight on your Marshall it was totally psychooodelic man ? "

Bewildered I responded :

" I dunnnnnno man ?  ".

I thought on it and then eventually while inspecting the amps chassis & tubes at home I saw the tube that burned out. I changed it out and lost that wild sound .

- - ¡ Bummer ! - -

Hmmmmmm I thought to myself many many times later going over and over in my brain on how to be able to reproduce what I had heard that night the output El84 tube blew .

Time marchers on and I dump the Marshall and get that Carvin 60 watt tube / x-tor hybrid . It's set up showed me I didn't need that Variac so I let it go with that heavy Marshall loosing it's added 10 pounds of weight on the back breacking equation factor .

One nigth again ( differnt band different tube amp as well ) I start hearing once again that wild cosmic flange & phase shifting effect . After the show I inspected the output tubes and sure enough a little crack on a single output El34 tube ! Replaced it and again no wild sounding stuff :(

Enter the PC-40 Ibanez :

With the Cavin's wet spring type Fender reverb sound on it as good as it was and as much as I liked it over all I noticed when this amp was mic'd or DI's out of it's line out loop  to a P.A.  I heard the improved fattening up of may harp's sound a great delay unit adds into the equation .

That being the newly realized case in hand I was now in the market for a good delay .

A sound engineer / guitarist friend told me about an Ibanez PC-40 he wanted to sell when he heard me mention what I was after one day to make my sound more complete . To further impress me for the comely price of just $100.00 , I was also getting the added features of a flanger , harmonizer , & chorus along with a really clean noiseless versatile delay ...

¡ - Such a deal - !

Later while messing with this unit at home that night after tweaking this and that I soon was reproducing those sounds my two different amps made when a El34 blew in them !

Proving that there is alway more than one way to skin a cat ! :)

Sam one question :

What did that delay cost ya  ?

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón