Re: [Harp-L] U Blocking

I have always called what I do "channeling" since I use my tongue to
"channel" air into the notes I want (almost as if my tongue were a straw).
It is also apparently another application of a U-block. Using variations on
this technique, I can get double stops and single notes as I need them at
fast tempos so that I can keep up with the fiddle, mandolin, and banjo
players. The technique also switches well with some puckers and
tongue-blocking (depending upon the player, of course).
 Cara Cooke

This is the nearest description I've read to what I do most of the time. There are four holes uncovered but I can channel air down (or up) just one, or more, as needed, and I can play pretty fast and clean doing this. There are some pics of me doing this here: http://harmonicapics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk (click on "Embouchure matters..."). Finish your breakfast before you look.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm