[Harp-L] Celtic harmonica - concerts and seminars - at SPAH

This SPAH may turn out to be one where traditional harmonica plants
itself firmly on the map, with both concerts and seminars planned.

Don't miss Donald Black's concert on Friday evening. Donald is
Scotland's foremost traditional harmonica player and a world-class
musician with great rhythm, amazing melodic fluency, and a real knack
for delivering grin-inducing warmth on a repertoire of great tunes.
We're really lucky to get him on his first visit to North America.
Donald will be accompanied by Scottish guitarist Donnie Mackenzie.

Thursday 3:30 - 4:30 will be a joint seminar on Scottish, Irish,
Canadian, and Old Timey Traditional Harmonica. Participants will
include:

  Donald Black - Scottish (tremolo, diatonic, chromatic)

  James Conway - Irish (diatonic, chromatic)

  Paul Davies - Old timey (diatonic)

  Grant Dermody - Old-timey, blues/gospel (diatonic)

  Winslow Yerxa - French Canadian, Métis, Scottish
                  (diatonic, XB-40, tremolo, octave,
                   chromatic, bass harmonica)

In an open-ended dialog with each other and the audience, we'll discuss
ways that harmonica fits into our various musical styles, ways of
adapting the instruments to the styles, choosing instruments to suit
the style and the tune, things unique to each style, techniques,
special tunings, and anything else of interest. We'll also play some
tunes together from our related styles.

Donald Black will be doing a separate seminar teaching Scottish tunes
on harmonica. The tunes are tabbed out for 24-hole Asian-tuned tremolo
in C (Hohner 24-hole Weekender or the new Echo Celeste), but the tunes
will also be tabbed for standard 10-hole diatonic in both Richter and
Paddy Richter tuning).

Several of us will be participating in Joe Filisko's daily teach-in.
The teach-in instructors will be doing a concert on Wednesday evening.
James and I will be doing a set of Canadian tunes using foot rhythm,
guitar, and bodhran (Irish hand drum) to accompany diatonic, chromatic,
and bass harmonicas - never less than two instruments at once and one
of them is always a harmonica.

There may be other celtic harmonica doings - if so, participants please
announce.

Thanks.

Winslow