Re: [Harp-L] re: appropriate compensation

I play in a much in demand southern gospel group whose leader is a serious vocalist and keyboard player but who also is a very dedicated man of God who considers the group to be his ministry. 4 vocalists, bass, drums, harp and pedal steel. A lot of equipment! We play 2-3 times a week and range about 100 miles for gigs. The pay? Zilch, nada! In a year I've been given 20.00 for gas. Bummer, you say? No way! No drunks in our crowds-just folks who enjoy good music. Most of the time, funds are discreetly given to the leader (he doesn't refuse "love offerings") but it all goes to equipment upkeep and various ongoing benefit projects. My job supplies my paycheck-my music endeavor supplies my serenity.
----- Original Message ----- From: <rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 8:11 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] re: appropriate compensation

I go to a gig with about $1500.00 worth of gear and I use cheap used keys, and
an ancient dinosaur of an amp. I love playing live, but I need gig money just
to keep my gear going. My band played 3 weekends this month. I'm spending the
money on a new speaker cabinet.

Do I play free gigs? Sure. For benefits, for friends at parties. The set list is
a lot looser, we jam more, play more original tunes. A bar wants me to bring a
truck load of gear, play for four hours, all recognizable tunes guaranteed to
increase beer consumption, then I need somewhere between $80-$100.00.If the
crowd is sparse and the owner takes a bath, we talk after the gig. No problem.
Stuff happens.

I love playing music but it's a long four hours and I work hard the whole time.
The four hours doesn't include practice time, load up time, travel time, set up
time, rehearsal time, etc.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm