Re: [Harp-L] re: appropriate compensation

On Jul 22, 2005, at 9:11 AM, rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I go to a gig with about $1500.00 worth of gear and I use cheap used keys, and
an ancient dinosaur of an amp. I love playing live, but I need gig money just
to keep my gear going.

That falls under 'expenses'

My band played 3 weekends this month.

Ahaaaa! the proverbial 36 gigs per year

 I'm spending the
money on a new speaker cabinet.

Do I play free gigs? Sure. For benefits, for friends at parties. The set list is
a lot looser, we jam more, play more original tunes. A bar wants me to bring a
truck load of gear, play for four hours, all recognizable tunes guaranteed to
increase beer consumption, then I need somewhere between $80-$100.00.If the
crowd is sparse and the owner takes a bath, we talk after the gig. No problem.
Stuff happens.

It's a two way street. You don't want to take advantage of the owner, but, then again, they shouldn't take advantage of you either.

I love playing music but it's a long four hours and I work hard the whole time.
The four hours doesn't include practice time, load up time, travel time, set up
time, rehearsal time, etc.

Load up, set up, travel, comes under expenses. Practice & Rehersal come under "PAID TIME". There's an old axiom I like to use. No one is paying me to play...they're paying for all the practice time. When you add THAT up, it puts into prospective #1 How good you should be by now, #2 How much you should be paid by now.
smokey-joe & Kiss my Brass