Re: [Harp-L] Appropriate compensation for gigs

On Jul 21, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Chris Michalek wrote:

Absoutely BRILLIANT...........smo-joe

I slightly disagree with Tobe Terrel. I play because I like to play but I like to make money too. Who doesn't? Frankly not everybody is cut out to be an entrepreneur especially creative types. I personally feel, playing for free without cause (ie: public benefit etc) or for next to nothing degrades the local music scene.

////////// big snip &<
If I brought in a party of thirty to eat at your restaurant would you
give me a free meal? I think not.  Your bands are not employees and
they are not chumps.  Think of them as the beautiful flowers, table
cloths or fine silverware that grace your establishment.  Quality
stuff costs $$$ and you know it pays off in the long run.

I don't need cloth napkins but prefer them over paper napkins.

No offense to Tobe....

---- Original Message ---- From: MundHarp@xxxxxxx To: tortoise@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Appropriate compensation for gigs Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:30:43 EDT

Well said Tobe Terrel

PLAY BECAUSE YOU WANT TO.... The money is a bonus... Today I played
a gig at
a secondary (high) school... For free.... It was one of the best
gigs I have
played in years.... And If just one of those teenagers that heard my
harp
playing get "inspired "... Then perhaps my performing today might
have encouraged
"the greatest" harp player ever!  in just a few years time.....
I play for the love of the music... OK, I DO make a profit (just!),
but that
is NOT why I play...
Best wishes
John Walden