Subject: [Harp-L] Harp-L saves the day

From: "Leon & Gail Albin" <spock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Gail  writes:

"Dear Elizabeth,

I am very pleased with your advice regarding my  beloved Super 64. I just did
'harmonica surgery' this morning and it works  great. When I originally
opened up my harmonica a few days ago, those little  spacers just seemed to
be floating around inside. The funny thing is that I  was trying to get them
to work with the screws that hold on the front and  back plates. Since I am
more or less anonymous to you, I will admit that  laughable mistake. I also
received help from Ellis Brayham.

I took  another chromatic from my harmonica graveyard and took it apart and
washed it  down and lo and behold....it works just fine. I have 3 little
diatonics in my  harp surgery waiting room. I will work on them another day.
I have an elderly  friend who is gifted on the harmonica. His broke down
years ago and he  doesn't want to spend to buy a new one. I hope he will
accept one of my back  up chromatics. When I took them apart, I cleaned them
carefully. I am so  happy that I have given new life to 3 chromatics.  Thanks
again.
Regards,
Repair woman Gail"

....Dear Repair woman Gail!:  ....I think it's a fantastic thing that  not
only have you become confident enough to successfully attempt repairs but  are
now giving your friend a new old harmonica to play.  I'm positive  he'll be
thrilled.  I guess this is how "paying it forward"   works in real life.  I'm
happy to have helped even a tiny bit.   And your mistake (and admitting to it)
will help someone else from doing the  same.  Trust me, I've done things a whole
lot sillier than  that.  We should set up shop...you fix 'em, I'll polish 'em
until they  gleam! <g>   I'm now off to look for sources for the tubing --
if I find the correct width, I'll send some out to you.
Regards,
Elizabeth