[Harp-L] Re: U blocking

I'm a U blocker!  I never knew it until recently as I never thought
about it. I've been gigging for 20 years in the New England area.
Recent past discussions on Harp-l on the relative merits of tongue
blocking versus puckering lead me to examine my technique because I knew
my method did not involve either puckering/lip pursing OR tongue
blocking.  Yet I play octaves all the time.  So having recently read
discussion on U block, I played a single note and quickly removed my
harp from my mouth to see what my tongue and lips were doing and
discovered my tongue was formed into a U shape.  So I played an octave
and realized I pointed my U shaped tongue tip at the higher octave note
and use the side of my tongue to block the middle notes and widen my
mouth opening slightly to sound the lower octave note.  I think I'd call
this the U block method because to achieve a single note, the tip of my
tongue points to the note I need.  I can place the harp deep in my mouth
and play the riff to Juke with no hands on the harp using this method by
moving the tip of my tongue up the length of the harp.  So, without
being conscious of method, I develop this technique instinctively as I
learned harmonica playing.  I guess it's a hybrid of puckering and
tongue blocking that I do.  I get compliments on my tone a lot so I
think there is merit to this technique.  I can side switch so I guess I
can tongue block for this technique but I'd say 99% of the time, I am U
blocking.
Jim