Re: [Harp-L] Dixieland Jazz Harp?

On Jul 15, 2005, at 11:39 PM, Jonathan Metts wrote:

Reading the posts about "Sweet Georgia Brown", a couple of words caught my
eye..."Dixieland Jazz". This is definitely my favorite type of jazz, but
I've never heard of harmonica being used with the style.

More modern jazzes are cerebral, convoluted, laid back and cool, and the melody is not necessarily readily recognizable to the untrained listener.
More traditional jazzes are toe-tapperss, hot, based on rags, marches, spirituals and ARE recognizable.
I (personally) prefer 1..Dixieland 2..Jazzified Pop 3..Hot swing 4..Progressive 5..Latin beat. The more modern jazzes don't do anything for me and are just an excercise to show everyone how many notes can be played in a half roentgen of a second, OR if a guy can keep up a solo for 13 straight minutes. Blaaaaah!

Can anyone
recommend some players and albums? It seems like a natural matchup of
instrument to music now that I think about it, since Dixieland already uses
so many wah-like hand/mute effects that sound quite similar to harmonica
effects.

Unfortunately, those of us that came along in the 50s and 60s playing this stuff went up against a stone wall called rock. We were playing the wrong music at the wrong time, were a dime short and a generation late, and couldn't make any money at it, so the interest waned. While there IS a vociferous and dedicated crowd to this genre, it is usually much older (49-64-81-100) and the only place where I have found the type to be appreciated is here in SW Fla where all the retirees are, in which case the 17 piece "Englewood Swing Band" PACKS them in. Of course you have to play in the afternoon, as everyone needs to take their nap.

  And the horns seem intended to sound like human voices, which the
harmonica also excels at (in some cases, at least).  Wow, I'm getting
excited just thinking about the possibilities now.

Nothing like starting "Closer Walk with Thee" at a funeral dirge (just as done at a New Orleans funeral) and then really ripping into it (as they do when they leave the cemetery). If I were doing lead I would use a trumpet. The counterpoint is done with a clarinet. In fact, the ONLY reason I used to play trumpet and still play clarinet is because of Dixie-land. Other neat tunes:
1....High Society (which I did Memphis 1993)
2....Sheik of Araby(Columbus 2002)
3....Georgia Brown/ St. Louis Blues(St. Louis 1996)
4....Panama / Oh didn't he Ramble(Detroit 1992)
5....South Rampart St on Parade(Buckeye 1992)
6....DYKWIMTMNO/Basin st Blues (Detroit 1995)

Naaah, don't think you'll have much luck finding harmonica dixie-land. This fall (Nov.) there is a dixie-land fest in Clearwater beach Fla. On a Friday there will be a 'harmonica-rama' for 3 hours.

Jonathan Metts