Subject: Re: [Harp-L] cleaning tips /THE SEXY ROCKER'S OCD RITUAL

Fernando writes:

"I have cleaned a harmonica in a small ultra sound machine once. Since I
had to rinse it with water afterwards, because o the detergent used in
teh machine, I came to the conclusion that it is easier just to wash the
plates in water and use a tooth as help.

All the  best,
Fernando"

......I recently bought a Digital Ultrasonic cleaner thinking to use it for
my harmonicas (specifically my chromatics since I'd watched a repair guy do
just  that at Buckeye).  The only problem is the container turned out  to be far
too small (of course) for my Super 64 to be immersed - duh!   The GOOD thing
is -- it works with plain water - doesn't need the detergent at  all unless
you want "enhanced cleaning".  I haven't used it yet, but just  fetched a bunch
of my harps to see how many would fit.  Without the basket  (recommended only
for small items because it "absorbs 30% of the ultrasonic  energy" (and
thereby reduces the cleaning power) - the stainless tank can  hold FOUR SP 20's
lengthwise mouthpiece down (which is how I'd clean them,  anyway).  Separately I
was able to fit two older 10-hole Chroms side by  side with a little jostling.
I'm not sure I'd use it for those since  they're wood bodied.  I got this
machine for roughly $40 online (a steal)  -- because I was told the warmth and
agitation of an ultrasonic cleaner can  allow mangled or distorted windsavers to
even out again without replacing.   Of course that discussion specifically
related  to my Super 64 and I still might be able to use this  machine for that
purpose by angling the harp and leaving the lid open  (something it allows for
- since it's also for cleaning  utensils).  Overall it's compact enough and a
much better jewelry cleaner  than my previous model with the added bonus of
cleaning eyeglasses, other  small machinery parts, razors, waterproof watches
and the like.   For those with dentures - it even claims to do those!  I
haven't yet tried  the "English" Richard Smith's denture cleaner.  That's probably
going to be  something I'll try out somewhere down the road, too.

Separately - getting back to SEXY ROCKER Jason's meticulous OCD  method of
cleaning his harps:  I do something similar, consider myself a  bit of a fanatic
about getting mine as clean as possible so begin  with  rubbing alcohol, a
toothbrush (I use the "reach" ones since the top  part gets further into the
areas I need it to) designated just for my that  purpose, wooden toothpicks (but
admit to using some of my smaller screwdrivers  just as Jason does), some
lint-free cloths (actually I use something called  "Scott's Rags" - they're from
this Big Box I got years ago at one of the  Warehouse Clubs in the Automotive
section - (to use for detailing and staining  work for furniture) - found out
when I was down to my last 50 or so that they're  the perfect disposable cloth
for cleaning and polishing harmonicas (here's a  link I just found from Ace
Hardware _http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1275301_
(http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1275301)

So I work barehanded (since plastic or rubber gloves leave marks on the
harps, lol), at an old desk with paper towels on my lap and the desk and my
"rags" off to the side -- dip the toothbrush into the alcohol (kind of like
Jason's set up - but instead of soaking the plates and covers I hold them in one
hand and clean them over a paper plate with paper towels with the toothbrush)
and then getting into every corner with the toothpicks.  I might do this
several  times to make sure any goo is gone.  Then wipe them  thoroughly with one
of the cloths.  Then, while the harp is still  disassembled and dried off, I
use my MAAS polishing creme.  I bought it at  a supermarket in Ohio - so have no
idea where I can find it in my own area  except online (they do have a
website
_http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/?PID=306&SC=98
275&PN=Maas%20Polish&KW=Maas%20Polishing%20Creme_
(http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/?PID=306&SC=98275&PN=Maas%20Polish&KW=Maas%20Polishing%20Creme)
  A little goes a very long way and even after the harp looks and  seems
immaculate, one would be astonished by the amount of black stuff  coming off every
metal surface you thought was already clean.   I use  a tiny amount squeezed
onto the cloth which I then work into every surface I can  access including
around the reeds.  If some inadvertently gets in or onto  the reeds themselves I
clean it off with the toothbrush again dipped in the  alcohol and toothpicks.
 This works even on the brass plates -  they shine like gold when done with
this creme.  I do the inside and  outside of every surface of the mouthpiece of
my chromatics as well as the  covers.  The beauty of this for me - is that it
eliminates that extra step  Jason takes -- that of having to scrape with the
screwdriver to remove the  pitting or rust residue.  Even on old chroms I've
bought from EBay -- I  found only one beyond salvaging this way.  This Maas
stuff claims to remove  rust and pitting and it really has so far -- just with
finger  polishing, though I'm sure if the pitting was really extensive one could
utilize  a polishing tool of some kind (Steve Shaw broached this subject some
months  back, I believe).  After removing all of the creme and wiping every
interior surface, I reassemble (am no good at gapping yet, much to my dismay)
and then polish the entire harp again with a tiny drop of the cream, then
buff  with the cloth.  They look factory new and the creme seems to prevent
further rusting or pitting.  I've said this before -- It was really  nice to hear
Jimmy Gordon comment and then repeat at Buckeye just how clean my  old 10-hole
chromatic was - right down to the spacers.  I hadn't realized  before it
probably means I'm a bit OCD myself  -- but if that allies  me with Jason, the
SEXY OCD Rocker/fanatic harp cleaner-player extraordinaire, I  ain't in bad
company :-)    (but I think I'll leave the 300 gigs  a year to him.. <g>)

Elizabeth