Re: [Harp-L] Sweet Georgia Brown

On 7/12/2005, b2becom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hey all you harp-l-ers out there - anyone done or know of a harp recording
of this old std? My jug band wants to play it and I can't find any versions
that are harp specific for lead and or accompanyment. any help would be
appreciated!

Best way to do SGB is in the F position on a C chromatic. If you need another key, adjust chromo so that you will STILL be in the F position. I do it now and then using a clarinet (played in G...which equals F) and a C chromo played in F, and sometimes finish with a sop-sax played in G...which equals F.
There aren't too many of us doing dixie-land. One person who had recorded many years ago it is Joe Martin from Mandeville Louisiana. Born 1920, the kid is tantalizing to listen to....really....well....different
smokey joe (& the Cafe s)