Re: [Harp-L] OBs on hering harps

At 04:33 AM 7/15/2005 -0400, Bobbie Giordano wrote:
>Tim, have you ever set up Hering Blues for OBs/ODs?  I find them so similar,
>reedwise, to Marine Bands and such, which are often set up for overbends,
>that they actually seem not too difficult for doing so.  I have no Golden
>Blues, but, I think they're supposed to be more equal tuned, aren't they?
>Have you ever set them up to OB/OD as well?  Curious what you've noted if you
>have.

I only have a couple of Hering Blues because I'm not that wild about the
ergonomics -- too similar to the Lee Oskar.  But the two I have are both
set up for overblows.  One was done for me by Ben Bouman, the other I did
myself, which is tuned to Melody Maker.  I agree that they are easier to
set up in this fashion than the Vintage 1923, and on the whole easier than
a Marine Band, since they're already assembled with screws and are easy to
take apart and put back together -- no drilling, comb sealing, etc.  When
fininshed they also have a nice mellow tone, which I like.  I haven't tried
a Golden Blues.  I never trust factory tuning anyway!  I like full-length
covers like the GM.

-tim