Re: [Harp-L] Favorite Brand/Model of Diatonic?

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:06:18 -0700
From: "CHARLES BASSI" <jeanchar50@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Favorite Brand/Model of Diatonic?
To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Aside from using altered tunings, which may be available in one brand/model
and not another of diatonic, do you harpers find it best to stick to one
>brand/model of harmonica?
>I tend to go back and forth, and I usually seem to wind up
>with a mixture of Lee Oskars, Special 20's, and
>Marine Bands in various keys.  I find I'm adjusting my embrochure
>slightly, sometimes unconsciously, when I switch keys, since Lee Oskars
>have bigger holes than the Hohners - sometimes when I switch from
>one brand to another, my playing is a little sloppy till I adjust.
>Each of these harmonicas have their virtues, as far as tone,
>durability, ease and precision of bends go.  Some sound better, but some
last
> longer. Do you find it's easier for you to favor one brand/model of harp,
> or do a lot of you wind up with a mixed bag of different
>brands/models for different keys?
>Thanks,
>Charles

Hi Charles,
  Assuming you are talking about stock model harmonicas, then it is not
surprising that you find: some sound better, which I assume is probably
more to do with fine tuning than anything else so you might find the SP20 &
Marine Band sound better chordally than Lee Oskars or Golden Melodies; some
respond better in different circumstances, for instance Marine Bands tend
to be set up for hard blowing in loud settings, where as a Golden Melody
tends to be setup for lighter and more sophisticated material at lower
volumes; and that some last longer than others, most notably I've found Lee
Oskars are the longest lasting harp on the mass market.

Its not the first time players have said how theres a difference in hole
sizes - the facts are if you use a ruler the diffence in hole sizes between
the models you're talking about are around a millimeter or so - but one's
experience of this in their mouth, combined with the overall size and shape
of the instrument, and the way it responds to your embouchure do have an
impact on your playing experience.  You are hardly the only one to find
your playing suffers when you swap between different models & brands.  It
takes a lot of effort to get precision on one model harp, let alone three
or four, let alone playing different types of harmonicas like the XB-40 or
various chromatic brands and models.  But there is hope.

One of the services some harmonica customisers offer is to take one
model/brand harmonica, and set them up the way you like, tuning, response
and depending on a number of things, possibly maybe durability.

I've found for myself that I need more than a couple sets of diatonics, one
set for playing quietly, one set for playing in loud settings, another set
tuned to 7 Limit Just Intonation for 2nd position, another to 19L JI for
more diverse approaches, and another set for learning to overblow and what
have you.  The more you want to do with this fickle instrument, the more
likely you'll find one harp cannot do everything.

I tend to prefer Lee Oskars for a number of reasons including durablility
and comfort out of the box.  But I also play Special 20s and customised
Marine Bands for various reasons.  And I do need to make a mental note to
myself when switching between these.    I've found that each time you take
on a new model or tuning, and really get familiar with it, the less of a
challenge it becomes each time around.

I have learnt of other more experienced players who find they notice less
and less of a difference between models (diato and chrom included) as the
years tick by, until it doesn't really matter what they're playing as it
initially was in their earlier years.  Practice and building familiarity
appears to be the key.

Cheers,
-- G.