[Harp-L] Re: XB-Melody in F

Before paying anyone to modify an XB-40 to XB-Melody in the key of Low F,  I'd make sure that the
low bends on the stock XB-40 work well for you in Low F.  Do you already have any experience with
the stock Low F XB-40?  Can you blow bend the #1 hole down without difficulty?

Although they may make XB-40's in a wide range of keys,  I suspect that the EFFECTIVE range of
XB-40 keys is much more limited.   On the high end, many people report trouble with the #10 blow
bend in the key of C or above.   On the low end I certainly had trouble with the #2 and #3 draw
bends in the key of Low Eb.   Someone has suggested that these problems arise because, unlike
standard diatonics, the combs of the XB-40's may not vary from key to key.

I suspect that the BEST range of keys for the XB-40 are Ab, A, and Bb.  Venture outside that range
at your own risk.