Re: [Harp-L] Portable Recorders

G writes:

I've found Minidisk recorders ideal for my own recording purposes.  You
can get a lot of MD recorder for your money these days.  The latest one I
have is the MZ NH700, and I either use the tape out from the mixer or use a
Sony ECM-MS907 stereo microphone.

I have the same MD recorder and mic as you, G. Great minds... ;-) Though you'll get by pretty well with a cheap stereo lapel mic (mine's a Vivanco 216). It's a more discreet thing to have sitting on the table in sessions too.

My computer isn't up to using the USB connection, so I manually record
stuff onto my computer through the headphone output and the quality is more
than good enough for my needs.  You can use the optical output of equipment
to record CDs and what have you directly into the recorder, if you don't
use the USB, this is a handy way to get your albums onto disk, especially
if you have a multi disk CD player.

I've been advised that you should use a USB port on the PC and not a USB hub (as I do) for reliability, though I don't know how good this advice is. The advantage of transferring via USB is speed. The disadvantage is that you have to use Sony's SonicStage software, which is not well-liked and which has to be used with care to avoid losing your recordings. Transferring in real time through the headphone socket gives results that you can hardly, if at all, distinguish from the USB upload.

Cheers

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm