[Harp-L] "A" harp issue

One thing I've done in the last few years to deal with the problems of lower
harps not cutting through or not playing flexibly and fast enough is to use
different harps for the same key. So I'll use a high "G" harp in 2nd
position for a solo or either a low or high "D" in 1st position. I might
just use the low "G" for background, chugging and chords, and then switch.
Or signal the band to play softly and solo with the low "G". (Same with "F"
and "F#" harps.) IMHO it works great on slow blues like "Keep Your Hand
Outta My Pocket." Hey, when you are the soloist you are the leader, at least
for 12 or 24 bars! For me, it depends on the tune, setting, how my skills
fit song, etc.
So for the key of "E" I might play some straight E harp tuned low for the
solo. Cuts through but not too brightly or harshly.
But you do need to work on your breath strength and control/focus with the
lower-pitched harps to make them work better too for cross harp. You may be
chugging along when the lead guitarist breaks a string and someone needs to
pick up on the solo while he changes it!
One more thing - If you use the top end of the high-pitched harp, like the
"G", I do suggest that you watch your volume, tone and feedback!
Happy harpin'

Harmonica Blu
BluXpress@xxxxxxxxx
www.HarmonicaBluXpress.com