Re: [Harp-L] Subject: Who decides who is Bad or Good?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Spiers" <moparjoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <EGS1217@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Subject: Who decides who is Bad or Good?

 When other musicians tell you that you have great tone or sounded good,
invite you back up, call you and ask you where you've been, then they dig
what you're doing. Usually they aren't going to tell you that you sucked,
they just won't let you play if they don't like it. Real players are pretty
good at recognizing talent and even if you blow it once in awhile, they will
still encourage you and nurture that talent. Unless they play guitar of
course....JUST KIDDING  heh

 chops- when you've got 'em, if you have something to say musically you'll
use them to get your point across. It's the ability to speak the harmonica
"language"

 tone- don't know how to describe it other than it's pleasing to listen to,
and if you've got it everyone will tell ya so. The secret here is to be able
to turn on the right tone for the given song- sweet, country-ish, or my
fav-0-rite FAT and SLIMEY

resonance- find a place with natural reverb like a bathroom or other place
with hard surfaces, and practice there. Softly. relaaxxxxx.... When you find
resonance, you'll know it as soon as it happens. Then a whole new world
opens up in your playing, and chops/tone follow close behind.

One thing to do is record yourself once in awhile, like making a mark on the
wall to see how you grew when you were a kid. If you can, record yourself
when playing with others, and listen close to how you fit in and sound, it's
an eye-opening experience. Either you'll get self affirmation, or you find
out how bad you sucked and then you fix it.