RE: [Harp-L] The Gear vs. Tone thing

I think it's the nature of the beast that we are always on the lookout for
great new gear.  Sometimes it's because the amp or the mic make it easier to
make a particular sound that we like.  But that doesn't mean we actually
NEED great gear.  For the most part I play Lee Oskars with a standard JT-30
through an old standard '65 Fender Deluxe.  It's a great amp but it's not a
great harp amp and I have to work hard to make it break up the way I like
it.

When I play through a PA and not my amp, I'm not usually worried that it
will sound bad, because I have confidence in my acoustic tone.  That's the
key, I think.  But, hey, I'd love to have some of the gear many of you play
through.  For instance I'm always on the lookout for a nice old Fender
Champ.  But if I only have a Pignose to play through, that's cool.

Practice acoustically and forget the amplification.  When you sound good
acoustically, you'll sound good no matter what amp or mic you use.  Plus,
you can hear the nuances of your tone and the notes you are playing. This
will help you to improve your overall playing.

When playing with a band, I'm much more interested in just getting enough
volume to keep up with the guitar player. :-)

Robert Gaustad