Re: [Harp-L] a little more on gear

IronMan Mike Curtis wrote:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Big Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm going to (re)tell an old story. Some of you long-timers may have
heard it before, and for this I apologize in advance.

Back in the 60's, I played bass for a popular band. One night, Eric Clapton was in the audience, and was invited up to sit in. We kinda felt bad, because the only extra amp we had was a cheezy solid state backup amp. He plugged in, hit a few notes while tweaking the amps controls, and said he was ready. And he sounded *exactly* like Eric Clapton, with that big, fat Clapton sound. Would he have sounded any better through a Super Reverb or AC30? Probably - but he sounded _sooooo_ good thru that cheapie.

My point is that better musicians tend to be the least dependent on gear to get their sound. Sure it's nice to have custom mics, boutique amps, $75 cables, and such, and we well may find that these allow us that elusive "extra something". But even if given "bottom of the barrel, we can still sound professional.

Bay Area guitar player Kid Anderson (this guy's a complete freak--makes every guitar player in the audience's jaw drop and eyes glaze) has been playing through a Roland Jazz Chorus lately. He sounds exactly the same as he did through his black face Super Reverb. A guitar player friend of mine who's semi-retired from music but who toured with Frankie Lee for five years or so plays through a beat up Fender Stage 100 using a Tube screamer. I can't tell the difference between his solid state setup and times I've heard him play through a vintage tube amp.

I go to a jam that R.J. Mischo runs. He uses a both JT-30 and the vocal mic. His sound through the vocal mic is different--no cupping, but it's big, fat, and loud. When the band is not playing at earsplitting volume he can stand a food away from the vocal mic and sound the same as he does close up.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell