Re: [Harp-L] San Francisco/Amateurs and pros

I have to compliment local boy, Bill Hines, on his approach to jams. Bill
shows up at the jam weekly (more then me lately since I've been down with
bronchitis). He does what few jam newbie players will do. Sit and listen and
learn. Learning good jam etiquette can transfer over to good stage presence
in a real band situation. The jam I host is where 90% of the blues bands in
the area originate. Working bands not only look for good musicianship in new
bandmates, but also showmanship.

The lack of jam etiquette isn't a condition of being a beginner player. I've
seen both gigging and non-gigging players ruin a set by taking their ego on
stage. Case in point,  my former music teacher's cd was nominated for
several jazz Grammy's and international jazz awards 2 years ago. He sat in
at the blues jam one night and proceeded to play flute through all the
vocals and solos. I was embarrassed to have invited him to sit in. He showed
a complete lack of professionalism as a sideman despite his credentials.

The question here for harp players is, Will you take what you are reading
and apply it to the jams you patronize?  Some guys, like Bill Hines, want to
learn and aren't afraid to ask questions. Other local guys, know everything
about nothing and are offended by any advice that might make the playing
situation more comfortable for the other musicians. They are the first guys
to sign in and the last guys anyone wants to play with.

Btw Bill, you should try attending the monday night acoustic jam. It's more
for the  musicians wanting to work on their chops then for the audience,
which is usually about 5-10 people. Very laid back like a living room jam.
No sign up sheet or ego's on monday's. :)

mike