[Harp-L] Recent Jam Experiences

While we have this pro/am at the jam thread going on, I thought I?d re-count my
recent jam experiences.  To understand last night, you have to understand last
month.  This jam is the last Tuesday of the month.  Last month, I was one of
those unknown quantities.  The Jam Boss did not know me from Adam.  So I
patiently waited my turn, while several players, behind me on the list, were
invited up to play with the house band prior to ?opening? the stage.   Once the
stage was open, this power trio wanted to play by themselves.  The Jam Boss
said OK for three songs but then you have to let this harp player sit-in for
three more songs.  So they do their best Jimi/Duane/SRV, loud as DFW Airport
impersonation.  Then it was my turn to get up with them.  All I ask is, ?Tell
me the key and if it?s a minor.?  Well the guitarist was so uptight.  I think
he was nervous.  He didn?t really want to talk to me.  I told him  ?You?re next
to me and I ain?t gonna shout it across the stage.  Just tell me the key.?
He?d answer me but with an attitude.  They launch into Allman Brothers ?One Way
Out? and just play right through like I wasn?t even there.  Every time a solo
came around the guitarist took it.  No solo for the harp player.  I said to
myself, OK, ok fine.  I laid back did some backing riffs and by the end of the
song I was just standing there glaring at the guitar player.  The Jam Boss went
straight up to the stage and said, intentionally loud enough for the room to
here.  ?You gotta give the harp player some!?  Nice work by the Jam Boss.  So
next song I got a one verse solo.  Third song was the Stones ?All Over Now?,
which I just chugged along, again getting no solo.  Afterwards, the Jam Boss
was apologetic, and complimented me for keeping my cool.  He promised me next
month he?d get me up with the house band.

One month later, last night.  Well it turns out the Jam Boss was sick last
night.  The house band asked the guitarist in my band to fill in.  Aw right!
I?m a known quantity now.  I sat in with the house band in the first set.  I
got matched up with a pair of really fine guitarists and the house band rhythm
section during the open stage.  And to boot, it was my first night out with my
recently acquired Bassman RI.

So there you have it.  Blues jams are kind of like poison blowfish.  They can be
oh so delicious, when properly prepared and all the ingredients are known,
otherwise, they can be deadly.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com