RE: [Harp-L] XB40 nuts and bolts

harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

you have two alternatives if you
need access to them - either use a reed-lifting tool of the type suggested
by Rick Epping here a few weeks ago, or take out all those screws!
I missed that thread re the tool. Can u describe it or turn me on as to how
I can read about that tool?
I have one xb40 in C draw (i think) and hole 4 rattles and is unplayable
until it is played for about 10 seconds or so. It came like this new. I've
never taken it apart since it always fixes itself.
Also, we could probably identify the Hohner technician who put my XB40
together because his fingerprints are clearly showing on the brass reedplates in
several spots. I don't imagine the fingerprints do any harm, but then again
maybe whatever substance caused the etching of his fingerprints in brass, might
also harm the reeds.
Any idea what causes my rattle and if i need to fix it, what i should do?
thanks.
ron

My wife calls me lots of things but never anything like "harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx" Heheh!

Here's the relevant extract from Rick Epping's post to harp-L (hope he doesn't mind!):

QUOTE<<The main difference in tuning XB-40 reeds is the method of accessing the
inside reeds without removing the reedplates from the comb. It's not
possible to lift inside reeds with a reed slip or wire inserted through
the mouthpiece holes as with other harmonicas so I've designed a reed
pick for this purpose based on similar tools used to lift accordion
reeds. Made of .002 inch stainless steel feeler gauge and cut out with
a pair of sharp scissors, it's thin enough to be inserted between the
slot and the reed tip and safely lift the inside reed up out of its slot
and yet stiff enough to support the reed when working on the tip. Once
the reed is lifted, a longer and heavier reed slip can be inserted
beneath the tool if needed to support the reed farther back toward the
rivet for lowering of pitch. There is a bit of technique involved in
using this tool but a drawing I've made along with some photos showing
the tool in use may be helpful in making and using the reed pick. As
with any new service technique it's best to first practice on worn out
harps. This tool can of course be used on any type of harmonica.

I have no way to post these photos on a website but I'd be happy to
email them.  Just contact me off-list.  The 6 photos have a combined
size of less than 1 MB.

Best regards,

Rick Epping
Hohner, Inc.
REpping@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   >> UNQUOTE

As for that rattle, maybe one of the list experts could elucidate, but on a harp as high as a C it sounds like either a slightly misaligned reed (they are quite easy to misalign by accident on XB40s I've found, if you're filing down one side of the reed a little too vigorously - I told you I was clumsy) or a valve hassle. Whilst I've complained about other aspects of the factory setup of XB40s, on my two specimens at least the valves are well-behaved. So far. Sigh. And as for the fingerprint mystery - I want to know why all harp putter-togetherers dip their hands in black stuff before they start work...

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm