Re: [Harp-L] Budapest

But I think "native blues men" ( I mean, you, Americans) should not
disdain
other countrys, other continents. I dont like this kind of tone. We are
a small country some people even dont know where it is. But this doesnt
mean that here is nothing.
Sorry I do not want to flame, but everybody should respect the others.
I am pride of my country, and my country's musicians, and "we" can play
better blues music, than some american bands.
Peace and respect!

Attila Czigany from Hungary
http://attee.tk

Attila,

I fully agree with you. Over the years, I've heard many bluesmen (not to mention many harp players) and a lot of the more interesting stuff comes from outside of the area of origin of the idiom. That's not to say that there aren't great US blues acts and players, but that the assumption that you need to be American to play good blues is quite ridiculous.

My favourite blues record of these last few years (no harp) is Kevin Brown's "Mojave Dust", and Kevin is a guy from Bath, UK. The deepest, most soulful acoustic guitar and vocals stuff I've ever heard.

Although I'm less keen on what he's doing now, Nico Toussaint from France has nailed down and integrated the heavy blues harp sound better than a lot of Americans I've heard. Same goes with Steven deBruyn in Belgium, although he doesn't do blues anymore. But listen to his ex-band's cover of Your Funeral and My Trial, and you will weep at how deep and true it sounds.

Mattyas definetely fits in that category for me, although at the time he was playing with the Blues Fools I kept wishing he'd do something more personal. Has he released anything since going solo ?

Anyway, lest I be misunderstoof, this is not to say we don't have uninteresting or just plain crap players over here too ! There's no inherent betterness on either side of the Atlantic, is more how I feel. In this day of worldwide communications, in a day when some US artists can be more popular in Europe than in the US (Ben Harper, Popa Chubby...) there's no reason why anyone can't have the same access to the base material and go with it in a way that's both interesting and fresh (rare though that is in truth...)

Ben