Fwd: Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: full octave on 2 holes - worth it?

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Murray" <dlmurray@xxxx>
wrote:
Is it possible to play music with the two hole octave that is being
described or is it just a "look what I can do" exercise? Is there a
practical reason for doing it, like it making some song possible or
better
than would otherwise be possible?

===============Winslow says:

Just a few years ago people were saying the same thing about
overbends. Some folks are still saying it.

Any new technique will pass through the stages of what-if, lame
attempts, technical consolidation, and musical usage. The musical
usage can start an any stage.

Bystanders will hear the stages where the thing is still technically
lame and/or has not yet been musically integrated and will make
disparaging comments about the pointlessness of the attempt and deem
the techique fundamentally unmusical, impractical, etc.

Meanwhile the dedicated players will go about the business of turning
it into a musical reality.

I've had my share of listening back to some of my own dying-cat
noises resulting from attempts to come up with a musical use of
extended bends while not having full command. My current inclination
is to play the diatonic diatonically, so I'm not really working in
that direction. But I encourage anyone who wants to push the envelope
and find both the technical command and the musical uses of extended
techniques.

Winslow