[Harp-L] re: Bassman and amps in general

I like My Fender RE Bassman fine! I've had four, and they all sounded
different, that's FOUR NEW FENDER BASSMAN RE AMPS THAT SOUND
DIFFERENT..Sonny Jnr sent me one of his new Bassman Repros and offered it to
me for free if I chose to use it exlusively as well as three other amp
companies..Sonny's amp was great,r eally well built and Kim  Wilson ended up
using it or taking it or something so he dug it. but a lot of people on the
road including my Bro ROSCOE up in MICHIGAN said they liked the Fender
Bassman better after I switched back which I did all night long, song to
song, sometimes more than once within one song.I'm still using my Bassman..I
wish I could find some small time guy with big heart like some of the people
that sent me these amps to support instead of FENDER (who never sent me
anything) but I got to go with my ears..Maybe it's just familiarity but I
think they sounds better for my playing. Of all the boutique harp amps I've
tried I did like the Meteor the best but overall I guess I like Catfish more
than Caviar.
Jason Ricci www.jasonricci.com

A reissue won't sound like an old amp because any 2 old amps will sound
different. Components age. This changes the sound. My friend has a blackface
Pro that's hissing, the reverb channel is shot, but it sounds like a million
bucks right now so he's not touching it(he's a very good amp tech but a
little
superstitious). The tweed champ he's got sounded awful until he put a lot of
work into it. Sounds wonderful now.

Different mics work better on different amps. A Bullet and a champ is a
beautiful sound. An sm57 and an old Pro is a gorgeous sound, but different.

So you can spend time trying tube swaps and tweaking and changing things, or
you
can take a pocket full of harps and a mic down to your music store and keep
trying all the cool old amps until you have one that's right. Trust me.
You'll
know it when you hear it.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com