[Harp-L] Amp project and general bassman comments

Hi guys,
Since amp talk seems to be flaring up again, here's my latest toy. A while back I had harp-l's Don DiStefano modify my 1964 Fender Concert amp for harp, and it sounded great, but the speakers I got for it were a bit bright for the way I wanted it to sound. Anyway, a buddy gave me an empty single 15" cabinet that had been made for a Showman head (same size as the concert) and I decided to call Ted Weber at Weber VST and he made me a 15", 50 watt 2 ohm "ferromax" speaker with his "h cap" for dispersion. Not sure if there is another speaker company ANYWHERE that would custom-make a speaker to a non-standard ohms (so I didn't have to switch out the output transformer) , altered for harp and do all that for $100 and shipping. Anyway, put this mongrel together and the sound is wonderful, lots more bottom without being flabby and the highs are still coming through. Chromatic especially shines with this rig. Not just my opinion, AZ harp great Bullit Bill Tarsha gave it his approval when he heard me play through it on Sunday. Of course it's a mutt, non-collectible (although I have the original cabinet tucked away) but just another example of the variety of amps you can use to get a good sound other than the common ones.
Incidentally, I had two original 1959 Bassmans here at the house the other day ( traded my current one off to get back one I used to own, long story there) and the difference in sound between the two was remarkable. They might have left Fender sounding identical but years, assorted replaced and aged parts sure have had their effect over time. Interesting that the one I got back sounded pretty bad when I let it go, but next owner got it serviced correctly and it came back to life; someone before me had changed a bunch of caps and made the amp real muddy sounding, but not anymore. All the comments you see on here about having amps serviced are absolutely right on, IMO, as long as the tech (or you) know what you're doing and use the right stuff.