[Harp-L] Feedback

This subject keeps comming up, not surprising since setting many amps at more than 3 generates feedback. The problem with this is that the amp may not overdrive below 5 or 6.

So why do miced amps tend to feedback in the first place?

Is it because a mic's output simply has higher voltage levels than a guitar (perhaps due to loudness of the harmonica). If so why not just use volume control on the mic to bring it back to the expected range of a guitar and then jack up the volume and/or drive on the amp?

Seems to me when you use a console to mix sound to a PA, a pot is used to control the volume to the PA and since this is how its done in recording studios, than this must be a good way of attenuating a signal.

I've probably made my point, but  I have another example, guitars also have pots to control output and people use these constantly during shows for various effects, during solos and to induce feedback when needed.

So why use expensive feedback supressors when a $2 pot can be used earlier in the chain?

Pierre.