Re: [Harp-L] Eric Chafer - Augmented Spanish Tunings

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 12:27:21 -0500
From: Pierre <plavio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Eric Chafer - Augmented Spanish Tunings
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Pierre

>I'm sort of wondering why nobody else is using this
> tuning? What are the challenges?

There are a few other players who are trying this tuning out - the ones I'm
aware of decided to go ahead with it after discussions on an email group.
However I haven't heard any recordings yet.   I gave it a shot, but put it
aside after three months.

> practically speaking could this harp be used for styles
> other than jazz or would there be too much bending
> involved for mere mortals?

Half your notes are bent.  Intonation is the biggest hurdle, depending on
which range you choose (I understand Eric uses the range of Low E).  The
top draw bends are certainly tricky, but this can be mitigated a bit by
starting with a lower register, but then the lowest draw bends become
tougher.   I tried retuning a Low F harp, and if I were to do it again, I'd
probably start from Low Eb.

After playing an Augmented CX12 for 4 months or so, I retuned a Low F range
augmented diatonic for myself. I spent 3 months practicing on it, and
realised, for myself, it was going to require a huge investment of time and
energy, I was already familiar with the layout, what messed me up is
getting the intonation right, and clear articulation.  Although now I think
of it, I'm probably better at these aspects than I was 2.5 years ago.

I like the tone of diatonics, I first learnt on diatonic harps, I've even
focused on diatonics throughout the last year.  But I like chromatic
harmonica just as much, and felt it wasn't worth the effort to master the
augmented diatonic in this lifetime.

However I'm considering setting up a diminished diatonic for myself and
give that a whirl.

>I'm also wondering why Lee Oskars seems to be favored for
>this tuning?

Use whatever works for you. Eric didn't like the tone of the Augmented Lee
Oskar he set up for himself.  I like customised Hohner Handmade diatonics
for a lot of reasons, I like Lee Oskars for other reasons.

> I'm not big on LOs, could a Special 20 or Golden Melody  be used instead?

Of course.  With Special 20s you have a wider range of keys to start
retuning from than Lee Oskars or Golden Melodys.

That said I've retuned Low F Lee Oskars to Low Eb, and I'm currently
experimenting with tuning a Low C Lee Oskar.  Its a given that you need to
swap out some of the reeds.

With Golden melodies, you can replace reeds from Special 20 reedplates, or
order them individually from Michael Timler,  http://HarpOnline.de

Also you could contact Isabella Krapf and order an augmented Seydel
diatonic, they have a flat rate for any altered tuning diatonic.
http://www.vintage-harmonica-editions.com/

I think Michael Timler is also offering this service now, but you'll need
to confirm this with him.

Or you can order an Augmented diatonic be it a Lee Oskar, Special 20 or
Golden melody from a reputable harmonica customiser.

>Article about Eric and sample tunes:
>http://www.planetharmonica.com/EricChafer.htm
>(Hard to believe but Eric's tune on the Invitation CD is
> even better than these)

There were a few unauthorised clips floating around before that interview
was put up.  The clips were from a Jam session which also sounded better to
my ear, than the approved clips with that interview.  I look forward to the
day Eric and his band put out a complete album.

>Augmented Spanish Tuning:
>http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/augspanlayouts.html

And some of the answers can be found on the introduction page to that
article found here:
http://www.angelfirec.com/music/harmonica/augspanintro.html

There's a lengthy thread on Harp On! email group's archive about Eric and
this tuning.
-- G.