Re: [Harp-L] Re: Digest Number 1533 Harmonica as harp ?

Bill Hines wrote:

"I cannot say it without bothering my heart fearing criticism or
ridicule from traditional classical musicians or harpists."

It's funny to me that you say this. I worry that real bluesmen will think I am what I appear to be, a middle aged suburban dad who used to be cool. ;-)

A while back, golly it seems like a long time now, I interviewed Earring George Mayweather for a piece I was writing for LIVING BLUES. ( That was back when I was first starting to take our instrument seriously.)

So of course one of my first questions was, "When did you first start playing the harmonica?" There was a palpable delay in his response (sort of like that dip in power when you first turn on the Microwave) and he momentarily withdrew into himself, almost as if he was translating a foreign language. He repeated "harp" to himself a few times. Life flashed back in his face and he went on as if nothing happened, "I been blowin' harp since I was . . ." I forget the age and am too lazy to check my notes. But ever since then, I've said "I blow harp." Though, like many people who speak other languages, sometimes I forget and say harmonica.

Bob Cohen