Re: [Harp-L] Why is a harmonica called a harp?

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:52:53 -0800, ZAIS Elliot
<ZAIS.Elliot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm sure there is some interesting history which answers Elizabeth's
> question of Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:59:51 EST Harp-L Digest, Vol 17, Issue
> 16.  However, it doesn't justify replacing the perfectly good name of
> our instrument, the harmonica or mouth organ with the perfectly good
> name of another, radically different, instrument, the harp.  Appeals to
> "tradition", i.e., we've called it a harp for too long to change, seem
> to be rather weak arguments.  Granted, harmonica is a long word at four
> syllables.  A snappy one or two syllable name would be nice.  I just
> don't think it should be harp.

Why should we have to change?  I think the people who play the tall
string instrument should change what they call it :)...maybe we could
even give them the name string harmonica or something like that.  We
are much cooler so we should keep the name harp.   That way we don't
have to call this list tin sandwich-L or harpoon-L.  But if we did
change it to harpoon-L all the commercial wailers would throw a fit
and we would be back where we started.