RE: Fwd: [Harp-L] bright tuned/just intonation

This is the same as 7-limit just
intonation, except that the 5 and 9 draw, the main culprits in
deviation from equal temperment, are tuned about 2 cents sharp of
the reference pitch (rather than 29 cents flat).  I also raise the
reference pitch only by about 10 cents (about A=441 1/2).  This puts
every note on the harp within 14 cents of the reference pitch, and
also within 16 cents of "concert pitch", the main "offenders" being
sharp rather than flat.  Chords are VERY sweet, and the jarringly
flat 5 and 9 draw are avoided.

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps

Happy New Year, Tim!

I hope Pat isn't latching on to your wording too much, viz "culprits," "offenders" and "jarringly." I love it!

With the biggest possible ;-) (I will try the tuning you suggest though). And when I'm doing my own fine-tuning, e.g. of Special 20s, I set my tuner to A=441 or A=442, whichever will mean the least number of reeds to adjust.

Steve (single-note-melody-equal-temperament-man)

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
http://harmonicapics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Hear clips from my CD at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm