[Harp-L] Re: Don't Be A Loner!

Jazzman :

Thanx for that link , KHJ FM 93. was a Rock-N-Rollen commercial Los Angeles FM station considered by many a " main stream " type format in the 60's , I would catch it on my FM radio late at night when it would come in clear to the desert here in the Palm Springs area some 120 miles  ( 195 KLMTS , FM radio signals travel farther and clearer at night ) south of Los Angeles , at first that station was O.K. but , it catered to the " Bubble Gummers " mainly and I was not one of those types :) At or around the time of this Hohner commercial was made there was a " under ground " FM movement across the nation and Los Angeles had a couple , one did make it down to the desert , when that happened I stopped trying to tune KHJ in when I was able to listen to KABC ( now KLOS ) 95.5  FM . It was a great station that featured stuff that KHJ would not play and that was anything from Led Zep , Stones , B.B.King & Muddy Waters to Paul Butterfield  to anything eclectic :) They ( KABC ) played the full length versions KHJ would not play to put it simply . Their DJ's ( KABC ) were intelegent educated types , not like the commercial based ratchet jawwed motor mouth DJ's stationed at KHJ , man did those DJ's at KHJ suck the green weenie .

Personally when I heard that commercial it plain and simply pissed me off , to myself to see the harmonica relegated to a commercial ( ooooo did we of the 60's gerneration hate that word during that time period ) piece of media dung - - I hated it it with a passion ( LOL ) now it is an amusing walk down memory lane .

I really hated the simplistic commercial ploy they used via the sex thing and how you can score on more babes when you play a musical instrument - - I know many started to play a musical instrument just for that - - myself I played music for music's sake when I was 4 years old and that feeling still lives on in me - - . Funny now at 54 I still have the same passion for my harmonica and now my guitar playing as well . As for the fellow musicians I knew and grew up with who started to play music as teens for the procurement of female company  - -  Well , when these guys got older their passion for music diminished as their libido and health declined - - Pity - . The musicians who started young like myself I know still play like I do regardless of our physical state in  life . I love it still , now more than ever music is still a thrill to me .

When that Hohner commercial came out , well , it was Vietnam & civil rights protests across the nation , Cesar Chaves & the farm labor movement & it's protests here on southern California , arizona & Texas , and in my HS a giant protest went down when they canceled Startrek ( I did not particpate however :) serious times for us teens then , so yeah that damned Hohner commercial to me set back the harmonica 100 years , ---

---  I had visions of Little Walter , Sonny Boy & Blind Sonny Terry , Borrah Minnivich , Johnny Puleo & Larry Adler charging up the steps of Hohner's factory with arms in hand and bandoleros across their chests and blood in their eyes as were mine ! ! !

I did laugh my @$$ off this time around heh heh thanx for posting that link blood I needed a good laugh .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

aka :