[Harp-L] Re: 2004 Favorite CDs

"Buzz Krantz" <buzzo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thats easy Feel Good Funk by Jason Ricci and New Blood

the first time i saw jason, at the red bank riverfront festival,
i raced to the merchandise booth afterwards to buy this disk.
there was nobody there.  by the time i'd paid my money and
gotten my disk, there was a long line forming behind me.

another favorite is grant dermody's "crossin' that river",
a truly great cd, full of a wide variety of styles and moods,
from jazz to gospel to blues to calypso.  while there is harp
on all the tracks, this is not, to my mind, a "harp cd".  instead,
the emphasis is on the vocals and the tunes themselves, many
of which will stick in your head for days after hearing them.

and finally, "memphis barbecue sessions", with big jack johnson
on acoustic guitar and vocals, and kim wilson on harp, is a terrific
cd of front porch kind of blues.  favorite tracks include "big boss man",
"smokestack lightnin'", "humming blues", and "my baby".  the harp on
this is amazing.  i had to slow it down digitally to even figure out what he
was playing, let alone be able to duplicate any of it.  wonderful stuff.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.