Re: [Harp-L] classical recordings

Robert said:
Soon all "classical" music will be Phil Collins singing Disney themes with
an orchestra, and rock will be Phil Collins singing Disney themes with a
band, and jazz will be Phil Collins singing Disney themes with a band with
a sax, and country will be Phil Collins singing Disney themes with a band
with a pedal steel, and blues will be Phil Collins singing Disney themes
with a band and a harp player!!

Sad state of affairs, now that you mention it, I have seen very little classical programming on TV over the last few years. Although I guess its normal that music dies at some point. For example medieval music is pretty well dead. Same may happen to blues, jazz and rock one day.

The problem is that kids buy 75% of CDs so the recording industry goes after that market. Once people get a bit older and get tired of the fluff, they often stop buying CDs because they don't know what to buy since the radio stations all play the same 3 styles.

Between the age of 28 to 45, I only bought about 10 CDs. Imagine, I totally missed Stevie Ray Vaughan, how could this happen? When Napster came out I downloaded 3GB of music (shame) and realized how much I liked music. Finally I was able to find artist I like this way. During this period I was buying about 50 CDs a year. Now that Napster is gone, I'm buying about 5-10 CDs a year.

Seems to me, the recording industry should make their non-pop music widely available (ex: Real Player streams) and I don't mean 20 second clips. Honestly, how are 'local' players ever going to get know nationally if their music is not heard?

Seems to me north american TV shows are so bad now, it would be easy for the recording industry to steal some of the business. Perhaps new development such as satellite radio will help at some point.

Hang in there,

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: <bon@xxxxxxxxxx>