Re: [Harp-L] building a solo

tdbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have been playing harmonica for about 5 years now. I've had lessons, bought and worked through the Portnoy Master Class set. I play along with many blues cds. I've even been to a few open mic nights. My question for the gang is about the mechanics of building a solo.

This next step has been a mystery to me for a long time now. There must be some science to putting the notes together so they match the song. How do you prepare for your time in the spotlight? I think this is the next plateau I must conquer to move on in skill levels.

Thanks

TDBecker

I'm an ear player--I read music very poorly but I know some basic theory and can figure out the chords to songs from records if I can play the melody on my guitar. My problem was never knowing what I wanted to play but being able to play it.

That said, it seems to me there are two approaches. Learn the chords of the songs and try to play something that goes with them that may not be the melody. Or, you can take the melody and fool with the rhythm and change a few notes.

Another good thing is to steal from others. Almost every improvising musician who isn't a once in a century genius plays other people's licks. Not everyone can be Charlie Parker. Louis Armstrong, great as he was, played all sorts of things he learned from older players. Listen to people who play other instruments and try to copy them. You'll probably find that after a while you're putting things together spontaneously and you sound like yourself instead of the people you imitated.

As far as building a solo, you're on your own. It ought to have tension and resolution. How you get there is the real fun.

I'd be interested to hear more scientific approaches.

I suspect that if you've worked through all the instruction you mentioned, you won't embarrass yourself if you just throw it at the wall and see what sticks.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly