[Harp-L] dick gardner review- One cool Cat!!!

DICK IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One cool Cat
Pioneer Press - St. Paul,MN,USA
Dick Gardner achieved his dream when he became a member of the Harmonicats, the all-harmonica trio who scored a top hit. The man ...

One cool Cat

Dick Gardner achieved his dream when he became a member of the Harmonicats, the all-harmonica trio who scored a top hit.

BY DON BOXMEYER

Pioneer Press

The man in his Cottage Grove basement workroom softly caresses a rich, deep D-flat out of the 2-foot brass stick he has pressed to his lips, and "Peg O' My Heart'' fills the room.

"That was my song,'' says Dick Gardner, who was a 13-year-old Newport lad when "Peg O' My Heart'' catapulted a trio of Chicago musicians to instant stardom in 1947. Dick had been playing the harmonica since he was 7, and when he heard the enchanting "Peg'' for the first time, he knew that he would, that he must, someday become a Harmonicat.

"That was my dream,'' says Dick. "They were the ones, the BIG ones.''

The Cats were originally just three guys playing mouth organs in Chicago nightclubs, but then they dreamed up a way to revive the old melody "Peg O' My Heart'' by employing a microphone and a speaker in a men's tiled washroom to cause an echo-chamber effect.

"Peg O' My Heart," using that simple little echo-chamber business, eventually would sell more than 20 million recordings and become one of the largest-selling single recordings in history, right behind Bing Crosby's "White Christmas."

The original Harmonicats, formed in 1944, included leader Jerry Murad, Don Les on bass and Al Fiore on the chord harmonica.

Meanwhile, Dick Gardner went to school in Newport, and his 10th-grade class photo even shows an eager-looking young guy with a harmonica sticking out of his shirt pocket. By 1959, Dick had formed his own local trio, the Harmonica Hi Hats with Jerry Kellerman and Bob Sullivan. They played such well-known places as the Venetian Inn, Maguire's Supper Club, the Camelot and the Minnesota State Fair Grandstand.

"Nice bistros, smoky places, prisons, fairs, church functions and anyplace else for a few dollars,'' Dick once wrote.

And when the Harmonicats came to Rochester, the Hi Hats were invited backstage to play for them. He didn't know it at the time, but this was Dick's audition, and in 1971 he was drafted by Jerry Murad to replace Don Les on the bass. Dick, for the next 22 years, was a Harmonicat.

"Leave all your other instruments at home," Jerry told Dick. "You're the bass guy." As such, Dick was the Cat with the double-decker brass Dagwood Bumstead sandwich, the big "corn on the cob" mouth organ that captured all the rich, deep low notes.

While "Galloping Comedians" was Dick's favorite song to play, some of the Harmonicats' most-remembered recordings included "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White," "Try a Little Tenderness" and "William Tell Overture." In all, the Cats recorded more than 450 tunes over the years.

"I escorted Kate Smith onstage for her final performance,'' Dick recalls. "We ate ham sandwiches backstage with Bill Cosby, I once found Dom DeLuise's little dog, I loaned Bobby Vinton my white shoes in Saskatoon and fixed Roger Miller's dressing room TV set in Reno.

"The harmonica,'' says Dick, "has been very good to me. I must have played 'Peg' 12,000 times and never got tired of it.''

When Dick retired from the Harmonicats in 1993, the group's long, long run was essentially over. In 1996, Dick underwent successful triple bypass cardiac surgery. That was a bad year for the original Cats: Jerry Murad and Al Fiore both died in 1996, just one year before the 50th anniversary of their historic success with "Peg O' My Heart."

After living in Chicago for many years, Dick moved back to Minnesota in 1984. He lives in Cottage Grove, where the harmonica is still a major part of Dick's life. In excellent health now, Dick teaches harmonica one night a week in Edina.

"As far as performing, I just do show-and-tell things. I don't advertise, or else you get, 'You're invited to a big party. Bring your harmonica.' "

He also repairs harmonicas, a surprisingly busy little retirement hobby. Dick has about 1,000 customers from all over the world who send their instruments to him, mainly for cleaning. Harmonicas are like horns without spit valves, and gradually the inner workings become encrusted with all sorts of bronchial effluvia.

"I clean them all up, rebuild them, tune them and send 'em back.''

In case you think the harmonica is a dead instrument, the Hohner company of Germany, which dates to 1823, when Mathias Hohner introduced the little oral accordions, sells 30 million harmonicas a year.

"When you get one of these things,'' says Dick, "you're soon gonna get two or three more. The beauty of the harmonica is that most players are self-taught and you can play all by yourself, except that to harmonize with someone else is such a thrill.

"And a harmonica doesn't need batteries!''

Listen to the Harmonicats' 'Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White'
 (Windows Media file)

Click link to enter Website:  http://www.randysinger.com

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
George Bernard Shaw