RE: [Harp-L] bad harp movies

Colin Epstein wrote:
> ... <clip>
> Also on the subject of harmonica movies, Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a
> time in the West" has Charles Bronson playing a gunfighter named
> "Harmonica" cause he plays one all the time.  It's definitely not
> Bronson doing the playing, as his miming and the track don't match at
> all, but the plaintive wailing that Ennio Morricone scored for the
> harmonica is pretty cool all the same.

Pretty cool?  Just goes to show the truth in what they say about taste.  I
was just about to nominate "Once Upon a time in the West" as the second most
annoying harp movie of all time!  8^)  Hearing that harmonica squealing is
like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

> Another fun case of an actor obviously not playing what he's "playing"
> is Chow Yun Fat in the great Hong Kong action flick "The Killer."  His
> contemplative hit man occaisionally plays sad tunes on a chromatic harp,
> and it's just Chow wiggling the harp aimlessly with some music laid in
> way after the fact.

Yes, that one is beyond the point of absurdity.  My entry for the most
annoying harp in a movie, however, goes to "The Windtalkers".  Christian
Slater comes in with a close second to Chow Yun Fat in the category of
poorly faked instrument playing.  However, where Chow Yun Fat made it almost
comical to watch, Slater's acting is sickeningly serious, thereby clearly
establishing himself as my winner in the world's most annoying movie harpist
category.

Take it from me, you are better off believing the opinions expressed here
than watching any of these crapperoo movies to find out for yourself.

That's the way I see it,

Michelle