Re: [Harp-L] Half Valving

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:27:34 +1100
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Half Valving
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>I'm a newbie that realises you can have a lot of fun messing with the
>technical aspects of harp playing, and as such I am wondering if  the
>secret art of valving is common knowledge, happily circulated. I am
>wondering about what type of material is often used as the membrane, and
>more importantly, what is the adhesive people use to attach them. I realise
>a badly attached valve is likely to possibly end up in your throat, or
>stuck in your reed, so the adhesive is very important. I have some very
>thin, 4 thou, window tinting for cars that I reckon might be a bit of fun
>to start with, but the adhesive is my weakness. I have a busted harp that I
>just thought I might play with, since I seem to have a sore throat from too
>much bending, which is another issue altogether that I have to address.
>Thanks in anticipation.
>Reg
>Tony R.
>Sydney Australia

Hello Tony,
  The black art of valving is a jealously guarded trade secret.
Should you somehow eventually meet and perhaps gain the trust of the valve
cutters society, and should the promised day at last come that you be
trusted enough, and they share with you the black art of valving.  You will
have sworn on a sacred book, and signed your name in blood that you will
NEVER reveal these things to ANYONE, much less publically, under pain of a
horribly drawn out death by valve inhalation.

Alternatively, and probably better for your health, you can bone up on
valves and half valved diatonics with the following articles.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/chrom.html#valved
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/leclercvalved.html
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/maintwind.html
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/teflonvalves.html
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/ricksvalvetool.html

FWIW I've never successfully sucked a dislodged valve into my throat.

Cheers,
-- G.
Valve Cutter Secret Society member #963b